ROCHESTER, NY – The RIT baseball team split a doubleheader with visiting Clarkson, 8-4, 3-2, in Liberty League play, Saturday.
In game one, the Tigers held a 2-1 lead after the first inning. Clarkson tied the game at 2-2 in the third and took a 4-3 lead after five innings. The Golden Knights added a run in the seventh and RIT added one in the eighth for a 5-4 game heading into the final inning, where Clarkson scored three.
Game two’s 3-2 victory was led by sophomore catcher John Bagley, whose double tied the game at 2-2 in the fifth. In extra innings, the Tigers scored the winning run on a wild pitch with the bases loaded.
HOW IT HAPPENED
GAME 1 – Clarkson 8, RIT 4
- Clarkson took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, but the Tigers answered with two runs in the bottom of the inning for a 2-1 lead after a senior third baseman Patrick Blackall’s sacrifice fly and sophomore shortstop Randy Dodig’s single.
- The Golden Knights scored the game’s next three runs with one run in the third and two in the fifth for a 4-2 lead.
- RIT got within one run in the bottom of the fifth at 4-3 after senior first baseman Ian Libby’s double scored Bagley.
- The teams traded runs late with Clarkson adding one run in the seventh and the Tigers adding one in the eighth after Dodig grounded out to score senior left fielder Chris Reilly for a 5-4 game heading into the ninth, where Clarkson scored three.
GAME 2 – RIT 3, Clarkson 2
- Clarkson took a 2-0 lead in the second inning on Kent Wilson’s two-run double.
- Bagley responded with a two-run double to tie the game, 2-2, in the fifth, scoring freshman right fielder Sam Kulp and freshman designated hitter Adam Marsh.
- Blackall scored on a play at home plate off a wild pitch.
- It was the Liberty League West Division opener for both teams and RIT’s first home win this season.
- In the first game, Bagley, Libby and Reilly each had two hits for the Tigers with both Libby hits going for extra bases.
- Graduate student pitcher Collin Reformat took the loss after allowing four hits, four runs, six walks with five strikeouts in five innings of work.
- Junior pitcher Alex Slotter allowed four hits, four runs, four walks with two strikeouts in four innings in relief.
- In the second game, Bagley finished with two hits and two RBI.
- The Tigers finished with four hits with one each from Blackall and Marsh.
- Senior pitcher Jon Opalewski picked up his third win of the season after allowing four hits, two runs, four walks with six strikeouts in going all eight innings.
RIT wraps up its three-game series with the Golden Knights on Sunday, April 3 at 12 pm at Tiger Stadium.